Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Gone to the Dogs

Two DVDs were lent to me this afternoon: The Reader and Marley and Me. I'm undecided which one to watch tonight because both films pique my curiosity. The other one won Kate Winslet the Oscar's Best Actress award while the other one didn't win anything at all. Still, I'm a sucker for feel-good movies (although it is heart-breaking too, in the end). Don't worry, that's not a spoiler. Marley naturally dies in the end but the central point of the story is Marley's life -- his mischief and his ways -- shared with this unassuming couple (played by Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston).



On a ferry to Victoria, British Columbia with my family years ago, I was browsing some books in the ferry bookstore and I chanced upon this particular book about a dog who lives with a woman in the woods. I found the picture amusing because I have never seen a dog get snow frozen in his nozzle. So I picked it up, bought it, and read it on the plane ride home.



I think every dog owner - in the beginning - doesn't really qualify the benefits of having a dog as part of the family. The added expenses, yes. But the benefits, not quite. Just think about how much dog food costs, not to mention vaccine shots. On top of that, having a dog means taking the time to give him a walk, a bath and plenty of play time. Siguro unang dahilan na sasagi sa isip ng karamihan na gustong magkaron ng aso ay, para may bantay sa bahay. But the rewards of having a dog only present itself as time passes by and the longer you spend time watching your dog grow with you.

Dogs are extremely loyal. I don't know why God made them that way. And they always have this happy disposition. Take time to observe a well taken care of dog and an askal, and you won't tell the difference. They're just geuinely happy all the time! =) My dog Brie, everytime she sees me she does this jump! it's a twist and a jump actually, high up in the air, and it's a sight to behold! I cannot, for the life of me, expect her to be so happy to see me even when I haven't been paying her much attention. It makes me so guilty, and yet she doesn't seem to care. Her look tells me, "I'M SOOOO HAPPY! You're here!" All she knows is that I'm there with her now, and that is enough. =)

Before Brie, maybe two years ago, I had two other labs, Jacob (that's why I love Jacob Black in Twilight!!!) and Frankie. Jacob was Frankie's dad. They were beautiful, beautiful, beautiful dogs who died painful deaths. Oh no, it makes me cry just thinking about it... ='(

Jacob died years ahead of Frankie. He was confined at the vet for four days I think. When we came to visit on the 4th day, we stayed with him for six hours because everytime we tried to leave, he would attempt to get up, weak as he was. It broke my heart so much, seeing him that way. So Rachel and I decided to take him home. When we both carried him in the back seat, the doctor said he wasn't gonna make it. He was so weak and he looked like he was just trying to get up for us. He was so big he took up the entire space. His head was on my lap and he was exerting heavy breaths. The doctor gave us the option to put him to sleep. It was a painful and difficult decision, especially when I held him that way. We didn't want to but I was so helpless I didn't know how to remedy his pain. When we finally gave the go signal, I hugged him and said a million sorries for making that decision... It took all of 30 seconds and after that, he was lifeless in my arms.

Frankie, on the other hand died while I was at work. Dad, Ma, and Rach were there when he started whimpering and howling while he remained lying down... the doctor came and also put him to sleep. They didn't want to tell me but when I called from the office they broke the news and told me he was dead. When I got home I cried like crazy, as if somebody had died.

In both occassions I think I didn't go to work the following day. Di ko alam pero ganun ako ka-affected! When people at work would learn about my absence, they used to say, "Sayang naman yung aso mo eh di sana inasusena nalang natin." That usually made me laugh, knowing they were just kidding. But I know most of them wouldn't get it, why I mourned so much. Di ko din alam eh... I'm just so attached to them.

Here is a picture of Jacob and Frankie when they were still younger.





Beautiful beautiful babies gone to dog heaven... =)

No comments: